E-Bulletin Logo
Division of Commissioned Corps Officer Support (DCCOS), Travel and Transportation Reminder: Continental United States (CONUS) Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Travel Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who may I contact for general travel information?
A. Please refer to the Commissioned Corps Travel and Transportation Information Center at http://dcp.psc.gov/Travel/travel1.asp. Officers may also e-mail specific travel and transportation questions to the Commissioned Corps Travel Coordinator at phstravel@hhs.gov
Q. Where do I find the travel reimbursement forms? 
A. The travel voucher (form SF-1012) and supporting travel forms may be downloaded from the Commissioned Corps Travel and Transportation Information Center at http://dcp.psc.gov/Travel/official_forms.asp.

Q. What Permanent Change of Station (PCS) travel allowances may I claim?
A. Officers performing a PCS may claim monetary allowance in lieu of government transportation (MALT), per diem (Plus), temporary lodging expense (TLE), and dislocation allowance (DLA).

Q. Where can I find specific information on PCS allowances?
A. Information on allowances and rates can be found on the Commissioned Corps Travel and Transportation Information Center at http://dcp.psc.gov/Travel/rates.asp.

Q. Do I have to provide copies of receipts?
A. Officers must provide copies of lodging receipts if claiming temporary lodging expense (TLE). Receipts for meals, gas, and lodging on official travel days are not necessary. Officers should provide receipts for reimbursement of parking fees, ferry fares, and road, bridge, and tunnel tolls, if possible.

Q. If I claim temporary lodging expense (TLE) do I have to fill out any forms?
A. Yes. Officers must complete form PHS-7045 (Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE) Computation Worksheet) and include lodging receipts with their travel voucher. The final TLE amount claimed should also be itemized on the travel voucher (form SF-1012). (See http://dcp.psc.gov/Travel/official_forms.asp.)

Q. How do I claim a dislocation allowance?
A. If you qualify, please list dislocation allowance on the travel voucher (form SF-1012) under column (c) and then provide the correct amount in column (n). (See http://dcp.psc.gov/Travel/rates.asp.)

Q. To whom do I send my completed travel reimbursement paperwork?
A. Officers must submit the completed travel voucher and any other travel reimbursement forms to the finance office of their Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Operating Division or Staff Division, or to the finance office of the non-HHS organization to which detailed.

For Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Officers Only:  Travel reimbursement paperwork for FDA officers is completed by Prudential Relocation after a permanent change of station (PCS) move. The Prudential Relocation counselor prepares the travel voucher (form SF-1012) and sends it to the officer for review and signatures on line 12 and 14. The officer must then return the signed reimbursement paperwork to Prudential Relocation which in turn will send the documents to FDA for final payment processing.

Q. When should I submit my reimbursement paperwork?
A. Travel reimbursement forms shall be completed when travel to the new permanent duty station (PDS) is completed.

Q. When should I submit my reimbursement paperwork if my dependents travel on dates different than when I travel?
A. Contact your HHS Operating Division/Staff Division or your non-HHS organization finance office for their specific preference. However, you may submit a travel voucher for yourself when you complete travel and then a separate travel voucher at a later date when your dependents complete travel.

Q. What documents should I send to the Compensation Branch, Office of Commissioned Corps Support Services?
A. Compensation Branch DOES NOT process travel reimbursement. The only documents sent to the Compensation Branch related to official travel are the official forms for temporary lodging allowance (TLA) (form PHS-488) incident to Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) travel and the Notice of Arrival (form PHS-2874). Do not send any other travel reimbursement paperwork to the Compensation Branch.

Q. Should I make copies of my travel reimbursement documents before I submit them?
A. Yes.

Q. Is there a deadline for when I must submit travel reimbursement paperwork?
A. No, but officers should prepare and submit travel voucher(s) as quickly as possible. This will provide for prompt settlement of claims.
Current Issue Front Page