In carrying out its broad mission and objectives, the functions of the APAOC
shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide general professional advice and recommendations:
- Review and comment on issues referred to the APAOC by the Surgeon General,
Minority Officers Liaison Council, Chief Professional Officers, Professional
Advisory Committees, HHS Agencies, and/or Department Operating Divisions.
- Deliberate issues, develop findings, and present recommendations to the MOLC
and/or the Surgeon General.
- Act as primary resource for career development:
- Advise on Commissioned corps (CC) and Civil Service (CS) practices related to
- Advise on operating practices affecting the appropriate/optimum use of personnel
to best meet PHS needs and the needs of the individual.
- Identify both continuing and long-term intramural/extramural education needs of
APA, and identify and recommend training and/or experience opportunities
designed to meet these needs.
- Advise on issues related to PHS promotion practices and for commissioned
officers, assimilation into Regular Corps for APA officers.
- Provide advice and assistance on staffing issues:
- Assess and project the need for APA staffing levels, both CC and CS, throughout
- Provide advice on goals, objectives, and procedures designed to meet PHS
- Provide guidance for recruitment in short-term student affiliation programs
(COSTEP, summer interns, etc.).
- Develop, and/or review and critique, specific PHS recruitment materials,
procedures and programs.
- Establish networks of current, as well as former, PHS professionals, who can
assist ad, facilitate recruitment activities.
- Provide guidance to formally identified PHS recruiters concerning the
recruitment of qualified APA candidates to the PHS.
- Assist in the development of orientation materials for newly-hired professionals
and provide advice/recommendations concerning orientation programs.
- Communicate and encourage appropriate use of awards/recognition systems:
- Identify, establish, and help administer awards to APA. The awards will be
either: Honor Awards to commissioned Officers, merit Awards to Civil Servants,
or Special Awards to non-PHS individuals.
- Maintain cognizance of existing CC and CS award programs and opportunities.
- Serve as a communication link and information resource for APA:
- Communicate to the CC and CS APA important information concerning professional
and technical issues.
- Encourage individual membership in, and involvement with, respective
professional organizations and societies to promote open communication with
- Ensure the distribution of minutes and/or other APAOC developed materials to all
PAC Chairpersons, all CPOs, MOLC, the Surgeon General, and, to the extent
possible and appropriate, to Asian pacific American CC and CS professional
Page Last Modified on 1/31/2012
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content. Persons with disabilities having problems accessing any PDF or document on this page may call 1-888-225-3302 toll free for assistance.