Recruitment and Retention
The Recruitment and Retention Subcommittee is charged by the Nursing Professional Advisory Committee (N-PAC) to review and recommend policy relative to the recruitment and accession of nurses in the U.S. Public Health Service and to advise the N-PAC Chair and Chief Nurse Officer. Additionally, the Recruitment Subcommittee will be responsible for managing the First Contact Workgroup (FCW), Facebook Workgroup (FB) and the Nurse Applicant Workgroup (NAW). The ultimate goal for the Recruitment and Retention Subcommittee is to provide every USPHS Nurse with the opportunity to get involved in recruitment activities in support of our collective goal to increase the number of Commissioned Corps Nurse Officers.
Interested in becoming a U.S. Public Health Service Nurse?
Please refer to the following link for the Basic Requirements: http://www.usphs.gov/profession/nurse/
Recruitment and Retention Subcommittee Goals and Objectives:
Expand the recruitment activities of nurses, both civil service and PHS officers, to meet the needs of the agencies served.
First Contact Workgroup (FCW)
Continue to build relationships with Nurse Associations/Organizations, undergraduate, and graduate programs to establish a foundation for recruitment activities via fairs, presentations, and marketing material available to websites, newsletters, and magazines.
- Relationship building with professional nursing associations and nursing colleges/universities as a means to attract qualified USPHS applicants.
- Encourage the use of PHS approved recruitment material for activities to ensure consistency and accuracy of information to the public.
- Continue the development of new/innovative recruitment material and seek approval of materials by N-PAC leadership
- Develop Tracking/reporting tools and database for internal and external communications
- Provide support and encouragement to qualified applicants during the application process
FB Workgroup (FBW)
Provide outreach through social networking with the goal to attract qualified for USPHS
- Monitor NPAC FB page daily and provide 24-hour response to questions
- Serve as a resource for CC FB page and provide category-specific responses as needed
- Continue to build a “Fan” base and provide up-to-date information regarding USPHS and the nurse corps
Nurse Applicant Workgroup (NAW)
Continue the development of collaborative local and national recruitment activities to support centralized recruitment initiatives and programs established by the Division of Commissioned Corp Recruitment (DCCR).
- Assist Division of Commissioned Corps Assignment with nurse applicant process.
- Provide assistance to 100% of USPHS nurse applicants by communicating awareness of current agency opportunities, discussing various types of positions available to nurses in the USPHS, offering support, and answering questions about the Commissioned Corp and individual agencies with the goal of placing each applicant into a vacant position.
Recruitment Subcommittee Co-Chairs:
Recruitment Subcommittee Organizational Chart[117kb]
Follow USPHS Nursing on Facebook:
Page Last Modified on 3/28/2019
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content. Persons with disabilities having problems accessing any PDF or document on this page may call 1-888-225-3302 toll free for assistance.