Welcome to the USPHS Scientist Category Website
This site is supported by the Scientist Professional Advisory Committee (SciPAC) and provides news and information to Officers in the Scientist Category of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps. The Scientist Category is comprised of USPHS Officers who hold a doctoral degree (PhD, DrPH, DSc, PsyD, EdD) that served as the qualifying degree for their commissioning. The assigned billets and duties are diverse within the category and include a wide array of career tracks such as research scientist, regulatory scientist, environmental health scientist, epidemiologist, psychologist, and laboratory scientist. Currently, there are more than 300 Scientist Officers in the Scientist Category serving in 18 federal agencies or operating divisions. Each of the 40+ disciplines and professions within the Scientist Category contributes to the USPHS Commissioned Corps mission in unique and valuable ways.
- Scientist Officer recruitment! The Commissioned Corps will be accepting applications for Scientists from 1-30 September 2016. See our Recruitment Subcommittee page for more information.
- The next SciPAC General Meeting is 6 September 2016 from 1200–1300 Eastern Time.
- Welcome to our incoming SciPAC voting members: CAPT Mark Clayton; CDRs Ingrid Pauli and Robin Toblin; and LCDRs Kamil Barbour, John Pesce, and Jason Wilken.
- Congratulations to our promoted Scientist officers!
- Are you aware of the new changes to the APFT requirements? Take a look at this informative presentation - APFT updated 2016!
- Check out our Spring Newsletter, June 2016.
- Meet our most recent OBC graduates, May 2016.
- Congratulations on our 2016 Award Recipients!
- New Promotion material available on the Resources and Links page:
- Five new chapters of the Scientist Officer Handbook are available on Awards, Basic Readiness, COERs, Promotion, and Uniforms.
- If you are a new Officer, check out our Top Tips for Scientists entering the USPHS.
- For important news and information, subscribe to the Scientist Category Listserv.
The news and information provided on this site is designed to support new and existing Scientist Officers in achieving their career goals. Resources are also available to civilian scientists interested in joining the USPHS Commissioned Corps. Welcome and please explore our website!
Page Last Modified on 8/23/2016
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content. Persons with disabilities having problems accessing any PDF or document on this page may call 1-888-225-3302 toll free for assistance.