Public Health Engineering Practice
The Public Health Engineering Practice (PHEP) subcommittee provides a means for engineers from multiple federal agencies with varying levels of experience and expertise to share experiences and lessons learned, disseminate new technologies, and discuss issues of importance which are faced by engineers daily. The PHEP subcommittee advises the Engineer Professional Advisory Committee (EPAC) and develops resources for Public Health Service (PHS) agencies and their beneficiaries. Based on the EPAC Bylaws, the PHEP subcommittee serves to promote a forum to discuss common concerns and provide a professional practice bridge, both between PHS operating divisions (OPDIVs) and with federal government partner organizations. This purpose of the PHEP subcommittee is the following:
- To develop resources for the PHS agencies and their beneficiaries, expanding the understanding and direction of current engineering topics affecting the future health and safety of the nation.
- To increase the efficiency of our work by:
- Sharing experiences and lessons learned on issues related to various areas of engineering
- Bringing to light new technologies on the horizon or in use by members; and
- Promoting discussion and seeking input from members regarding potential solutions to any engineering issues encountered or anticipated in our daily work.
- Present public health engineering practice issues with analysis, information and possible solutions to the EPAC
Chair: CDR Leo Angelo Gumapas
Vice Chair: CDR James Coburn
Please find PHEP's Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on the following link: PHEP SOP (2020 AUG 21)
Public Health Infrastructure Assessment Guide: A Guide for USPHS Engineer Officers (2017)
How to Get Involved?
The PHEP subcommittee currently consists of engineers representing the Indian Health Service (IHS), National Parks Service (NPS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
The PHEP subcommittee generally holds monthly meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 1500 EST. The following document provides more details about PHEP meetings.
2020 PHEP Meeting Information
Page Last Modified on 10/20/2020
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content. Persons with disabilities having problems accessing any PDF or document on this page may call 1-888-225-3302 toll free for assistance.