AWARDS DePAC WORKGROUP
The Awards Workgroup of the Dental Professional Advisory Committee (DePAC) of the United Sates Public Health Service (USPHS) was established to evaluate nominees for seven prestigious Dental Category Awards and to make recommendations to the DePAC. Secondarily, the Awards Workgroup will advise the DePAC and Dental Category on ways to encourage award nominations by their respective supervisors.
Awards Workgroup Members
Chair - CAPT Jonathan Chiang - Jonathan.Chiang@ihs.gov
Co-Chair - CAPT Lori Snidow - Lori.Snidow@ihs.gov
LCDR Lisa Begay - Lisa.Begay2@ihs.gov
CDR Michael Donaleski - Michael.Donaleski@ihs.gov
LCDR Mark Ellis - Mark.Ellis@ihs.gov
CAPT Robert Lloyd, Jr - Robert.Lloyd@fdihb.org
LCDR Rachel Rachuba - Rachel.A.Rachuba@uscg.mil
CDR Brittany Satini - Bsatini@southcentralfoundation.com
CDR Brian Talley - Brian.Talley@ihs.gov
Dental Category Awards:
- The Ernest Eugene Buell Dental Award was established in 1989, in commemoration of the Commissioned Corps Centennial Year. This award is named after CAPT Buell, the first USPHS Commissioned Corps dental officer (1919) who was assigned to the Division of Marine Hospitals and Relief. This award is presented annually to a USPHS Junior Dental Officer/or equivalent level General Schedule dentist who has made a significant contribution in oral health education, research or service.
- The Ruth Lashley Mid-Career Dental Award was established in 2005 to honor CAPT Lashley’s stellar career to the USPHS and the Federal Bureau of Prisons. This annual award is presented to a Mid-Career Dental Officer or equivalent level General Schedule dentist. The initial award was presented in 2006 to honor her work as an inspiration to all dentists.
- The Jack D. Robertson Dental Award was established in 1982 to honor CAPT Robertson for his dedication, service, and commitment to the USPHS. This award is presented each year to a Senior Dental Officer/or equivalent level General Schedule dentist whose professional performance best exemplifies CAPT Robertson’s career.
- The Senior Clinician Dental Award is an annual award that was established in 2001 to recognize a Senior Dental Officer/or equivalent level General Schedule dentist who has chosen a clinical career track and excels in clinical skills. The initial award was presented in 2002.
- The Herschel S. Horowitz Oral Health Research and Policy Award was established in 2005 to honor CAPT Herschel S. Horowitz. He was a researcher, educator, and Dental Public health specialist exemplifying dedication and commitment to improving the public’s health through research and action. He also played a major role in leading and stimulating investigation whose results extended the use of fluoride for professional, public health and self-care applications. He critically studied the effects of combined preventive measures and he was the first to study cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness in oral health.
- The Dental Responder of the Year Award was established in 2006 to recognize a dentist’s impact on emergency preparedness, disaster response and contributions to local, national or international public health threats. The initial award was presented in 2006, and then annually.
- The Dental Mentor of the Year Award was established in 2011 to recognize outstanding mentors as evidenced by their significant contributions towards enhancing the professional growth and career development of Junior Commissioned Corps dental officers or equivalent level General Schedule dentists. The award is created to recognize the efforts and accomplishments of a dental professional serving in an exemplary mentoring role to a less experienced dentist.
We are always looking for great nominees for the Dental Category Awards. If you have questions about the nomination process or the available awards, please contact one of the workgroup members listed above.
Page Last Modified on 6/27/2020
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content. Persons with disabilities having problems accessing any PDF or document on this page may call 1-888-225-3302 toll free for assistance.