U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
HOME   Office of the Surgeon General   Submit An Article    Subscribe/Unsubscribe    Contact Us  
Volume 9, No. 2     May 03, 2013
In Brief...
Prior Issues...
PDF Archives
*NEW* form DD Form 1172-2 is available and required to apply for a Uniformed Service (CAC) ID card

The DD Form 1172-2, “Application for Identification Cards/DEERS Enrollment” has replaced the DD Form 1172, “Application for Uniformed Service Identification Card DEERS Enrollment.” The DD Form 1172 is now considered obsolete and will no longer be accepted. You may obtain the new DD Form 1172-2 at this website: http://www.cac.mil/docs/dd1172-2.pdf. The DD Form 1172-2 is the application completed by the sponsor to enroll his/her family members in DEERS/RAPIDS and must be completed and signed by the sponsor for all subsequent ID card renewals.

*NEW* RAPIDS Self Service (RSS) Website

Website: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service/

This DoD website provides active-duty sponsors with the capability to generate a DD Form 1172-2 form, update addresses and view other data elements within the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) for members and dependents. The sponsor can use RSS to generate and electronically sign the DD Form 1172-2 using his/her Common Access Card (CAC). The CAC refers to your PHS Uniformed Service ID Card and not your HHS (or other agency) ID Badge / a.k.a. Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card. The form will automatically be saved to DEERS where the Issuing Official will be able to view the form, using it as verification to complete the necessary actions. Or the sponsor may print the electronically signed form so that his/her dependents can present it to the Issuing Official at the time of ID card issuance. You will need your CAC, a card reader and PIN to access this site. Your PIN is the six to eight digit number you created during the ID card issuance process. You do not have the option to log in using any method other than CAC authentication. If you do not remember your PIN, you will need to visit the nearest DEERS/RAPIDS ID card office for a PIN reset. RAPIDS Site Locator: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl

*NEW* milConnect Website

Website: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect

Provided by the Defense Manpower and Data Center (DMDC), milConnect offers sponsors, spouses, and their children (18 years and older) access to their personal information, health care eligibility, SGLI records, and other information from a centralized location. It allows active duty officers to perform self-service functions that previously required support, such as:
  • Manage TRICARE enrollments
  • Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)
  • View SGLI and compensation information
  • Make address change
  • Obtain proof of insurance if enrolled in a TRICARE-managed program
  • Request DS Logon accounts
  • Locate the nearest Military ID card issuing facility via the RAPIDS Site Locator
  • Review FAQs about health care, DEERS, and TEB
Active duty service members must logon to milConnect using your Common Access Card (CAC). The CAC refers to your PHS Uniformed Service ID Card and not your HHS (or other agency) ID Badge / a.k.a. Personal Identity Verification (PIV) card.

Retirees and dependents can login using a DoD Self-Service (DS) Logon. There are two options for obtaining a DS Logon:
  1. The DS Logon can be requested during the ID card issuance process; a username and password would be mailed to your address listed in DEERS, or
  2. From the milConnect website, click on the blue “Sign Up Now” button and follow the steps provided at the My Access Center page. You may click on the “Help Center” button to preview complete instructions beforehand.
Individuals with active CACs are mandated to utilize the CAC for the purpose of registering for a DS Logon account. Therefore, you must have a card reader to complete the process.